Megan Thee Stallion files lawsuit against record label in order to release new music

Megan Thee Stallion

Megan The Stallion claimed her label was preventing her from releasing new music.

Megan Thee Stallion has reportedly filed a lawsuit against her record label 1501 Certified Entertainment. According to TMZ, the Houston rapper has filed for $1 million in damages after she claimed on social media that the label was preventing her from releasing new music while she sought to renegotiate her contract.

The suit also includes a restraining order against the label and its CEO Carl Crawford, which was granted by a judge yesterday (2 March) and prevents the label from interfering in the release of new music and bars Crawford from speaking about the case on social media.

As part of the lawsuit, the details of Megan’s current contract have been revealed. As Billboard report, 1501 take 60% of the rapper’s recording income, with the remaining 40% split between Megan, recording engineers, mixers and other costs of recording. The lawsuit also claims that per her current contract 1501 are entitled to take all of the income from Megan’s live performances.

As well as suing for $1 million in damages, Megan has asked the court to declare her contract with 1501 void. A further hearing is set to take place on 13 March.