UK label Houndstooth have announced an experimental electronic compilation inspired by T. S. Eliot’s 1925 poem The Hollow Men.
Entitled In Death’s Dream Kingdom, 25 artists have been tapped for contributions, including Batu, Pan Daijing, Lanark Artefax, Peder Mannerfelt, Peter Van Hoesen and Kangding Ray. Two tracks will be streamed every weekday until the compilation’s official release date on 26 January.
The Hollow Men is based on the political context of a post-World War I Europe. According to RA, Houndstooth have described the set of exclusive tracks as “dark music for dark times”.
In an interview with Fact, label heads Rob Booth and Rob Butterworth explain that the format lies somewhere between a playlist and compilation. The forthcoming release is “an attempt to use the malleability of the playlist format to episodically build an album that’s greater in scope than a typical compilation”.
“There’s been a lot of experimentation on the label but we’d never actually done one single project that focused purely on this type of music, so we had to rectify that,” say Butterworth and Booth. “We wanted to create a structure that would allow us to do this in an interesting way and one that could lead to further releases of this type.”
Check out the playlist and tracklist below.
01. Otto Lindholm – Cain
02. Pan Daijing – The Island Within
03. Lanark Artefax – Styx
04. Petit Singe – Komm Wieder Mit
05. Peder Mannerfelt – Post Sense Perspective
06. Tomoko Sauvage – In Some Brighter Sphere
07. Pye Corner Audio – Box In A Box
08. Sophia Loizou – Shadows of Futurity
09. Abul Mogard – Trembling With Tenderness
10. Pär Grindvik – Speaking Their Minds
11. Koenraad Ecker – Rat’s Coat
12. Roly Porter – Without Form
13. Hodge – Sunlight On A Broken Column
14. Gazelle Twin – The Dream Ends
15. Shapednoise – Ghostly Metafiction
16. ASC – Tessellate
17. Batu – Zoo Hypothesis
18. We Will Fail – Carbon Trail
19. Peter Van Hoesen – 98 Lines
20. Spatial – Haunted Dance Hall
21. Yves De Mey – Solemn But Fading
22. Mindspan – Accept Things As They Are
23. Kangding Ray – Glacier
24. ZOV ZOV – Post Six
25. Ian William Craig – An End Of Rooms