This year Planet Mu celebrate 20 years of surviving as an autonomous record label; that’s two decades of fearless, boundary-free experimentation to the furthest reaches of electronic music. It’s come to become one of the UK’s most idiosyncratic and reliable imprints: a guaranteed stamp of approval.
As Shitmat, Kyler, one half of Misty Conditions and under his own name, producer/DJ Henry Collins has always been associated with the wilder, noisier side of Planet Mu, with five albums under various synonyms. The Bristol-based artist made his name pushing his own intense but playful take on jungle, hardcore, gabber and plunderphonics but here, to celebrate the label’s anniversary, he’s accumulated a selection of his favourite weird cuts from the catalogue in a mix titled The Strange World Of Planet Mu.
Planet Mu will be celebrating their landmark with a deluxe 3xCD compilation and a book, due out later this year. Keep an eye on planet.mu for details.
01. Konx-om-Pax – Hurt Face
02. John T. Gast – Green
03. The Gasman – Horses on Ice
04. Leafcutter John – Untitled (Microcontact)
06. Capitol K – Darussalam
07. Ekoplekz – Tantrikz
08 Hrvatski – Echoes
09. Jlin – Black Ballet
10. Frog Pocket – Sea Angel Lament
11. Leafcutter John – Untitled (Microcontact)
12. µ-Ziq – Strawberry Fields Hotel
13. Ed Lawes – Fewer Ways/More Ways/24v.a.ish
14. Vsnares – We Are Cesspools
15. Urban Myth & Steve Beresford – Sparks of Grey
16. Guilty Connector – Beats, Noise, and Life
17. Speedranch and Jansky Noise – Bring me the ear of celine dion
18. The Gasman – Frolic